FAQs about accounts for individuals
What do I need to do to open an account if I am not a customer of Banco Santander?
- DNI (Spanish citizens)
- Passport + NIE/Foreigner's Identity Card (EU citizens)
- Foreigner's Identity Card (non-EU citizens)
- Certificate of non-residence (foreign citizens) or residence card (Spanish citizens)
- Other additional documentation we may request related to anti-money laundering.
Which account is most suitable for me?
You should choose an account that is suitable for you both in terms of your financial capacity and your requirements. In order to promote financial inclusion in the European Union, a Basic Payment Account has been created, which is offered by all banks and which gives customers access to basic banking services.
What documents should I read before opening the account?
You must read the pre-contractual information, which contains the main details of the account (settlements, income and balance drawdowns, duration of the contract, remuneration, etc.) in addition to the Fee Information Document, which details the fees for the main services associated with the account (transfers, cash withdrawals, account maintenance, etc.).
You should also carefully read the specific and general conditions applicable to the selected account, where you will find information about security measures and fraud prevention, and about claiming for unauthorised payment transactions (communication and deadlines), etc.
What are the costs associated with an account?
The main cost for an account is the maintenance fee and, if applicable, the administration fee. However, you can check the costs of the main services associated with the account in the Fee Information Document you will receive before you open the account.
Should I pay attention to any other aspect in addition to the pre-contractual information related to the account?
- Services associated with the account: debit card, remote banking contract, online correspondence. You should consider the characteristics of these services, as well as whether you need them or not and the potential costs. You can find more information both in the specific conditions and in the general conditions document. You will find these documents in your contract mailbox if you have signed up for the digital banking service.
- Direct debit refunds: requirements and deadlines. You can find this information in the general conditions document, which you will find in your contract mailbox if you have signed up for the digital banking service.
- Characteristics and costs of tacit overdrafts, which are overdrafts that occur when the Bank allows you to become overdrawn. The cost of this overdraft can be checked in the pre-contractual information we send you.
- Cash service: you should pay attention to opening hours, limits and potential costs. You can find this information either on the Bank's website or in branches (opening hours).
- Notification and deadlines in the case of contractual modifications: the Bank may unilaterally modify the conditions of the original contract but must notify you with sufficient notice.
- Transfer of accounts (method and deadlines): all Banks offer you the option to transfer and cancel your account in accordance with current regulations. Find out below how to change your bank account.
- Cancellation of the customer's contract/ position: as a customer, you can ask to cancel your contract at any time. Cancellation must be made effective by the Bank within 24 business hours of the request.